Sunday 9 February 2014

Oxford rendezvous


Yesterday was Oxford day! It was so nice to be back there after 4 years, it's such a cute little place. The tourists were annoying but being from Prague, I'm pretty used to that. Speaking of Czech things, on the way from Birmingham to Oxford believe it or not, 3 Czechs about my age got on the bus with us and I have probably never felt less homesick. Also one of my earphones wasn't working properly so I unwillingly heard everything they said, which made me want to jump out and hide any proof that I was of the same nationality.

Other than that, we had such a good time with my housemates Sophie and Alison, laughing, eating, shopping, eating, walking and more eating. I loved all the little hidden places and cute little houses and the details on them. We were pretty lucky with the weather too.

Sophie & Alison
cute little roofs pointing up to the blue sky
you can never go wrong with bricks.
Swedish looking houses
as soon as the sun is out, everything is good.
a bit of Antony Gormley
Turf Tavern- the most adorable pub- ideal for hobits!
artsy fartsy
us being shiny happy people.

One of the main reasons for me to visit Oxford was the Pitt Rivers Museum, which I'd heard such great things about. So I let the girls explore the town further (which means local sweets shops) and made my way there. 
To get to the Pitt Rivers, you first have to walk through the Natural History Museum, which I actually found more inspiring for the kind of work I do. Squid-like things and worms pickled in goo, fossilized dinosaurs and trilobites- what's not to like. So get ready for some weird looking patterns soon.

my first thought: Hogwarts!
shut up. no you shut up.

And now to the kingdom of Pitt Rivers.. There were things everywhere. I didn't know where to look first, it was so fascinating- artifacts from all over the world; things like Eskimo jackets made of seal intestines, necklaces made of bear claws, wooden Himalayan masks. Just a shame the lighting wasn't very good so lots of times the objects weren't even that visible. Children were doing little treasure hunts around and the atmosphere was generally really nice and homey. Oh and I found out that Sir David Attenborough was involved in reopening the museum in 2009, which made me appreciate this gem all the more.





Before getting back on the bus we just had time to pop into an Oxfam bookshop and I found a 'Czech for beginners' book there! I love how you can find random books like that.
 Oh and guess who was back on the bus with us? Yep, those 3 Czechs together with a snoring lady. Happy times!



No comments:

Post a Comment